Hypno-Link embraces creativity as an important part of our service. We believe that every person has at least a little bit of creative streak within them, just waiting to be discovered and applied. Therefore, Artistic Exploration activities are interweaved in most Hypno-Link services, including counselling, therapy and recreational group programs.
Artistic Exploration as applied in Hypno- Link services is not about an Art Therapy or developing artistic skills. It is not about whose art is better or worse because we are all individuals and express ourselves differently. The term Artistic Exploration refers to a practical use of an art as a strategy for communicating, forming connections, sharing a common understanding, rapport and interest. It is about being absorbed in a meaningful activity, whilst having fun along the way.
Clients participating in Hypno-Link’s Artistic Exploration activities are all doing well, regardless of previous experiences, abilities and skill level because the focus is not on producing masterpieces but on having fun in a supportive, non-judgemental environment. Bonding through artistic exploration in a group setting offers the opportunity for participants to meet and interact with other people who may later become good friends.
Hypno-Link also often uses the Artistic Exploration to assist communication in therapy and counselling sessions. Through expressing themselves artistically, clients are often better able to communicate their thoughts, feelings and emotions. This type of artistic communication is useful for shy people, people with a wide range of disabilities who experience communication difficulties or other people who find it hard to express their complex emotions. In situations like this, clients may be asked to draw a picture, write down their emotions, prepare and read the relevant poem or prose or listen to an inspirational story to assist them in conveying their thoughts, feelings or abstract ideas that may otherwise be difficult to express verbally. Other benefits of using Artistic Exploration as a part of Hypno-Link services are to:
• strengthen focus and invoke relaxation responses (for example as a preparation for relaxation therapy or hypnotherapy sessions)
• supplement therapeutic approaches in Hypno-Link counselling and therapy sessions
• assist group participants in forming a better rapport and interest based social interaction between each other.
• offer the choice and opportunity for exploring creativity, experiment with different modes of artistic expressions and have fun.
• offer socially inclusive engagement in various multisensory projects.
• to assist the discovery of new interests.
• assist a new, more positive meaning and understanding of one’s situation and that of the surrounding environment.